[openstack-dev] [trove][sahara][infra][Octavia][manila] discussion of image building in Trove

Amrith Kumar amrith at tesora.com
Wed May 4 20:10:21 UTC 2016

The approach being proposed by Pete is something that is equally applicable to DIB, I think. I believe that he makes a valid observation and our current element design may in fact be bad.

The invocation of DIB[1] is

    ${PATH_DISKIMAGEBUILDER}/bin/disk-image-create -a amd64 -o "${VM}" \
        -x ${QEMU_IMG_OPTIONS} ${DISTRO} ${EXTRA_ELEMENTS} vm heat-cfntools \
        cloud-init-datasources ${DISTRO}-guest ${DISTRO}-${SERVICE_TYPE}

Observe that we include the ${DISTRO} element, and we prefix ${DISTRO} into the name of the guest and the database to get, for example,

	... ubuntu ubuntu-guest ubuntu-mysql

The minimal set of bash and data files could be used instead and we won't have this matrix of datastore-by-distro proliferation that you speak of. That's why I believe that this solution is equally applicable to DIB.

[1] trove-integration/scripts/files/functions_qemu