[openstack-dev] [cross-project][quotas][delimiter] Austin Summit - Design Session Summary

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:41:04 UTC 2016

Thanks for the summary and taking care of the setup, Vilobh!

Pretty meticulously written on what was agreed at the session. Kudos!

I wanted to add some points that were asked during the Glance
contributors' meetup:

* The quota limits will be set on the tables in the service that
maintains the resources for each individual resource (not in keystone).
The default value is what is picked from the config. I think over time
we will come up with implementation detail on how the hierarchical
default value should be set.

* The quota allocation calculation will be based on the project
hierarchy in consideration (given that driver is being used in such
deployment scenario) and the usage for that resource recorded in the
resource's quota table in that service. So, this will involve
interaction with keystone and within the quota table in the project.

* We will be working on a migration story separately (outside of the
library). Delimiter does not own the quota limits and usage data so it
will not deal with migrations.

On 5/4/16 1:23 PM, Vilobh Meshram wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For people who missed the design summit session on Delimiter - Cross
> project Quota enforcement library here is a gist of what we discussed.
> Etherpad [1] captures the details.
>
> 1. Delimiter will not be responsible for rate-limiting.
> 2. Delimiter will not maintain data for the projects.
> 3. Delimiter will not have the concept of reservations.
> 4. Delimiter will fetch information for project quotas from respective
> projects.
> 5. Delimiter will consolidate utility code for quota related issues at
> common place. For example X, Y, Z companies might have different
> scripts to fix quota issues. Delimiter can be a single place for it
> and the scripts can be more generalized to suit everyones needs.
> 6. The details of project hierarchy is maintained in Keystone but
> Delimiter while making calculations for available/free resource will
> take into consideration whether the project has flat or nested hierarchy.
> 7. Delimiter will rely on the concept of generation-id to guarantee
> sequencing. Generation-id gives a point in time view of resource usage
> in a project. Project consuming delimiter will need to provide this
> information while checking or consuming quota. At present Nova [3] has
> the concept of generation-id.
> 8. Spec [5] will be modified based on the design summit discussion.
>
> If you want to contribute to Delimiter, please join *#openstack-quota. *
>
> We have *meetings every Tuesday at 17:00 UTC. *Please join us !
> *
> *
> I am in the process of setting up a new repo for Delimiter. The
> launchpad page[4] is up.
>

> Thanks!
>
> -Vilobh
>
> [1] Etherpad : https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-quota-library