[openstack-dev] [nova][osc] Use of openstack client for admin commands

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed May 4 17:08:06 UTC 2016

The plans for generic resource pools[1] include a suite of new
commands for creating and updating resource pools. In today's Nova
API meeting[2] and afterwards in #openstack-nova[3] we discussed two
issues:

* Since the placement API associated with resource pools is eventually
   going to be hoisted out of nova it will be developed in a decoupled
   fashion within the nova tree. It makes sense to also hoist the client
   libraries in the same fashion. The canonical plan for CLIs is to
   plug in to OSC.

* There's some confusion on whether commands that are destined for
   admins and services but not end users are "supposed" to be in OSC.

Since then the spec has been updated to reflect using OSC but the
question of whether this is in fact the right place for this style
of commands remains open. Not just for this situation, but
generally.

Is there an official word on this? If not, should we make one?

Thanks.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/300176/
[2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova_api/2016/nova_api.2016-05-04-13.00.log.html#l-205
[3] http://p.anticdent.org/xWd