[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed May 4 09:38:03 UTC 2016

Hayes, Graham wrote:
> [...]
> Designate is looking to move a single component of ours to Go - and we
> were wondering what was the best way to do it.
>
> The current policy does allow for the TC to bless different languages
> on a case by case basis - do we need to go from just python and JS to
> allowing all projects to use go, or should the TC approve (or
> disapprove) the swift and designate requests?

If we add Go as a supported language, then all projects could use it
(without requiring case-by-case TC blessing). As the resolution[1]
explains, we want to standardize on a limited number of supported
languages so that we can use the right tool for the right job, while
limiting the impact on infrastructure and community fragmentation. But
once a language is accepted, the more we use it the better.

[1]
http://governance.openstack.org/resolutions/20150901-programming-languages.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)