[openstack-dev] [nova] post-copy live migration

Luis Tomas luis at cs.umu.se
Wed May 4 07:56:09 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Based on Live Migration IRC meeting discussions, I've uploaded an
updated patch set for the "add post-copy live migration support to Nova"
specs (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/301509/). Based on that
discussions, the proposed way of including the post-copy live migration
capability is the next:

- To enable the use of post-copy, a new config option will be made
available at
nova.conf, `live_migration_postcopy`, similarly
to`live_migration_tunnelled`one. If `True`, the
libvirt postcopy flag `VIR_MIGRATE_POSTCOPY` will be used, if supported,
making the migration ready to be switched to post-copy mode.

- To trigger the switch to post-copy mode, an automatic mechanism will
be implemented based on the number
of memory iterations done by the ongoing migration. When the number of
iterations is greater than a defined threshold, the switch will be
triggered.

- Similarly to the `live_migration_bandwidth` parameter, the number of
memory iterations before the switch to postcopy will be defined in
another configuration parameter named
`live_migration_postcopy_max_iterations`, allowing a more or less
aggressive switch to post-copy. For instance, it could be set to a small
number (even 0) for evacuation purposes, minimizing the amount of
network traffic.

Any input/review of the updated patch set is really welcome.

Thanks,
Luis

--
Dr. Luis Tomás