[openstack-dev] [Nova] Libvirt version requirement

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 3 09:19:32 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 11:27:01AM +0800, ZhiQiang Fan wrote:
> Hi Nova cores,
>
> There is a spec[1] submitted to Telemetry project for Newton release,
> mentioned that a new feature requires libvirt >= 1.3.4 , I'm not sure if
> this will have bad impact to Nova service, so I open this thread and wait
> for your opinions.
>
> [1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/311655/

Nova's policy is that we pick a minimum requires libvirt that everyone
must have, this is shown in this table

  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix#Nova_release_min_version

Nova will accept code changes which use features from a newer libvirt,
as long as they don't cause breakage for people with older libvirt.
Generally this means that we'll use newer libvirt features, only for
features which are new to nova - we don't change existing Nova code
to use new libvirt features, since that would cause regression.

IOW, I don't see any problem with you using newer libvirt version,
provided you gracefully fallback without error if run against the
current min required libvirt Nova declares.

Regards,
Daniel