[openstack-dev] [octavia] amphora flavour and load balancer topology

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Mon May 2 21:40:41 UTC 2016

Hi, octavia guys,

Recently, We have been thinking about deploying octavia into
production (pre-production first in our case). Here are some
questions/concerns that need your suggestions and feekback.

1. Octavia will use a default instance flavour, which is
pre-configured, to create amphorae. Do you have any suggestion about
how to choose the appropriate amphora flavor? or did someone have the
load balancer performance test with different amphora flavors? It's so
important because we need to charge users according to the flavor.

2. Currently, Octavia support 2 topologies for load balancer,
SINGLE/ACTIVE-STANDBY, which is also configured by deployer. Is there
any possibility for the users to decide which one to use? e.g. adding
a param in creating load balancer. I believe it's different SLA for
the 2 topologies, some users can afford the failure when using SINGLE
mode, just because they want to be charged less.

Regards!