[openstack-dev] [glance] Interest in contributing to OpenStack

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Mon May 2 15:47:24 UTC 2016

Hi Djimeli,

Thank you for expressing interest in contributing to projects in Glance.
Glance community always welcomes passionate developers to contribute to
our open source and open community platform. It's great to see that
you've participated in GSOC and looking forward to contributing to
OpenStack.

You're very right about the information on the projects that have been
proposed for GSOC and Outreachy; at the same time you may be aware that
OpenStack is not in the GSOC 2016 list. So, are you looking to
contribute to the projects on your own time/part time? The project
"extended support for requests library" has been assigned to a selected
Outreachy intern; wiki will be updated as we officially complete the
formalities and the Glare client support is something that will need a
few weeks of time to get started (right around the time the internships
are supposed to start). Both of them are not a priority for Glance
currently as there are other or overarching items that need attention.
Although, I have 3-4 other small projects in Glance that need
contribution; they are not documented yet but I want only the most
passionate developers to work on them as they may need a bit of
background research.

I will soon post the project priorities if that is something you are
interested in knowing as well. Just hangout with us at #openstack-glance
channel on Freenode; at least that's where most of our developers
interact. I would recommend picking up a couple of small bugs and start
working on them before even diving into the projects to get a better
sense of the code base, design and the OpenStack way of working.

Always feel free to reach out; I prefer IRC and my nick on freenode is
nikhil.

Cheers!

On 5/1/16 5:28 AM, Djimeli Konrad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Djimeli Konrad a second year computer science student from
> the University of Buea Cameroon, Africa. I am GSoC 2015 participant,
> and I have also worked on  some open-source projects on github
> (http://github.com/djkonro) and sourceforge
> (https://sourceforge.net/u/konrado/profile/). I am very passionate
> about cloud development, distributed systems, virtualization and I
> would like to contribute to OpenStack.
>
> I have to gone through the OpenStack GSoC2016/Outreachy2016 projects
> (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Internship_ideas ) and I am
> interested the in working on "Glance - Extended support for requests
> library" and "Glance - Develop a python based GLARE (GLance Artifacts
> REpository) client library and shell API". I would like to get some
> detail regarding the projects. Is this a priority project?, what is
> the expected outcome? and what are some starting points?.
>
> I am proficient with C, C++ and Python, and I have successfully build
> and setup OpenStack, using devstack.
>
> Thanks
> Konrad
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/konrad-djimeli-69809b97