[openstack-dev] [Docs] Installation Guide Plans for Newton

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Mon May 2 13:34:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:38:13AM -0500, Lana Brindley wrote:
> Greetings from Austin!
>
> Yesterday we held the Install Guide planning workgroup. It was a full room, with some very robust discussion, and I want to thank everyone for participating and sharing their thoughts on this matter. We have some solid goals to achieve for Newton now.
>
> The etherpad with the discussion is here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-workgroup-install
>
> The original spec to create a way for projects to publish Instal Guides has now been merged, thanks to consensus being achieved at the Design Summit session, and a few minor edits: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/301284/ We can now begin work on this.
>
> There is a new spec up to cover the remainder of the work to be done on the existing Install Guide: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310588 This still needs some iterations to get it into shape (including determining the name we are going to use for the Install Guide). So, patches welcome.
>
> Again, thank you to all the many people who attended the session, and those who have found me this week and discussed the future of the Install Guide. I'm confident that this plan has broad acceptance, is achievable during the Newton cycle, and it moves the documentation project forward.
>
> Feedback is, as always, very welcome.

One question on this: the spec says that projects may publish to
docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/RELEASE/SERVICE/ (yay!).

Some projects have intermediate releases during the cycle; for example
in Mitaka, ironic had 4.3.0, 5.0.0, and 5.1.0 releases, with 5.1.0 being
the base for stable/mitaka.

Is it okay/expected that projects with this model publish an install
guide for each intermediate release as well? Again, using mitaka, ironic
would publish:

docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/4.3.0/ironic/
docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/5.0.0/ironic/
docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/5.1.0/ironic/
docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/mitaka/ironic/

Thanks for all the hard work on this! :)

// jim