[openstack-dev] PTL communication of offline time

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Mar 31 18:51:41 UTC 2016

I proposed a resolution to the TC regarding PTL leave of absences,
outlining a workflow of communication:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/290141/
The proposal was struck down in favour of a change to the Project Team
Guide: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/293170/

I recently was contacted by a PTL who though my proposed resolution was
a good idea and was in search of some advice. The following is the
essence of what I suggested.

If you are going offline but retaining your position of responsibility
regarding the project for which you are a PTL, my resolution wouldn't
have applied anyway since the only situation it covered was if someone
was not going to be responsible for the leadership of the program any
longer and didn't have time/leeway to work though a change of leadership
for the project/program/team (insert current word here).

If you are a PTL that is retaining responsibility for your ream but will
be offline for a bit, I can see why you would want to make provisions
for your team and want to communicate them.

Personally I would like to avoid a stream of "out of office"
notifications to the mailing lists.

My suggestion is to mention your planned offline time to your team at
your weekly team meeting (logged and in a discrete unit so an onlooker
only has to read the log from that meeting, not an entire day's worth of
channel chat in case it was a conversation rather than a statement). If
you want to deputize someone on the team to make decisions in your
stead, name that person and have them acknowledge their responsibility
in the meeting log.

If the deputy is told someone needs to make a decision in a hurry but
wants to wait for the PTL's approval, the deputy can merely share the
url of the meeting log that acknowledges the agreement between PTL and
deputy, which I think is all most folks want to know anyway.

Now these are merely my suggestions, you are bound by the provisions
outlined in the approved documentation, not resolutions that didn't
merge. But since I was asked I thought I would share would I had advised.

Thanks,
Anita.