[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Heat][Kolla][Magnum] The zen of Heat, containers, and the future of TripleO

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 13:10:30 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:
> The main issue is one of upgradability, not stability. We all know tripleo
> is stable. Tripleo cant do upgrades today. We're looking for ways to get
> there. So "upgrading" to ansible isnt nessisary for sure since folks
> deploying tripleo today must assume they cant upgrade anyway.

That is wrong now: we are able to upgrade from Liberty to Mitaka.
We're even engaging some CI efforts to have an upgrade job, that will
run on each patch.

> Honestly I have doubts any config management system from puppet to heat
> software deployments can be coorced to do a cloud upgrade without downtime
> without a huge amount of workarounds. You really either need a workflow
> oriented system with global knowledge like ansible or a container
> orchestration system like kubernes to ensure you dont change too many things
> at once and break things. You need to be able to run some old things and
> some new, all at the same time. And in some cases different versions/config
> of the same service on different machines.

> Thoughts on how this may be made to work with puppet/heat?

Yes, TripleO team is currently investigating and pushing efforts on
Mistral, that is the workflow service in OpenStack.
Some background about Mistral choice:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-January/083757.html

The spec is discussed here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/280407/

We think Mistral will really help us to achieve workflows in TripleO,
including upgrades.
Dan Prince made a screencast to demonstrate Mistral usage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnAT37O-sdw

Emilien Macchi