[openstack-dev] [Heat] Re-evaluate conditions specification

Thomas Herve therve at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 08:40:33 UTC 2016

Hi all,

As the patches for conditions support are incoming, I've found
something in the code (and the spec) I'm not really happy with. We're
creating a new top-level section in the template called "conditions"
which holds names that can be reused for conditionally creating
resource.

While it's fine and maps to what AWS does, I think it's a bit
short-sighted and limited. What I have suggested in the past is to
have a "variables" (or whatever you want to call it) section, where
one can declare names and values. Then we can add an intrinsic
function to retrieve data from there, and use that for examples for
conditions.

It solves that particular issue, and it opens some interesting
possibilities for reducing duplication in the template, as we could
build arbitrary values out of parameters or attributes that can then
be reused several times.

Thoughts?

--
Thomas