[openstack-dev] [nova] API priorities in Newton

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Mar 30 19:47:09 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 03:26:13PM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> During the Nova API meeting we had some conversations about priorities,
> but this feels like the thing where a mailing list conversation is more
> inclusive to get agreement on things. I think we need to remain focused
> on what API related work will have the highest impact on our users.
> (some brain storming was here -
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-nova-api-ideas). Here is a
> completely straw man proposal on priorities for the Newton cycle.
>
> * Top Priority Items *
>
> 1. API Reference docs in RST which include microversions (drivers: me,
> auggy, annegentle) -
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/api-ref-in-rst
> 2. Discoverable Policy (drivers: laski, claudio) -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/289405/
> 3. ?? (TBD)
>
> I think realistically 3 priority items is about what we can sustain, and
> I'd like to keep it there. Item #3 has a couple of options.
>
> * Lower Priority Background Work *
>
> - POC of Gabbi for additional API validation
> - Microversion Testing in Tempest (underway)

FWIW, the  framework for using microversions in tempest is done (and is part of
tempest.lib too) and the BP for that has been marked as implemented:

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/qa-specs/specs/tempest/implemented/api-microversions-testing-support.html

All that's needed now is to actually start to leverage it by adding tests with
microversions. IIRC there is only 1 right now, just a pro forma test for v2.2.
The docs for using it are here:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/microversion_testing.html

> - Some of the API WG recommendations
>
> * Things we shouldn't do this cycle *
>
> - Tasks API - not because it's not a good idea, but because I think
> until we get ~ 3 core team members agreed that it's their number #1 item
> for the cycle, it's just not going to get enough energy to go somewhere
> useful. There are some other things on deck that we just need to clear
> first.
> - API wg changes for error codes - we should fix that eventually, but
> that should come as a single microversion to minimize churn. That's
> coordination we don't really have the bandwidth for this cycle.
>
> * Things we need to decide this cycle *
>
> - When are we deleting the legacy v2 code base in tree?

I can get behind doing this. I think we've been running the 2.1 base compat
as the default for long enough that there aren't gonna be any surprises if
we drop the old v2 code in Newton.