[openstack-dev] [TripleO] tripleo-quickstart import

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 18:16:19 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 08:30:22PM -0400, John Trowbridge wrote:
> Hola,
>
> With the approval of the tripleo-quickstart spec[1], it is time to
> actually start doing the work. The first work item is moving it to the
> openstack git. The spec talks about moving it as is, and this would
> still be fine.
>
> However, there are roles in the tripleo-quickstart tree that are not
> directly related to the instack-virt-setup replacement aspect that is
> approved in the spec (image building, deployment). I think these should
> be split into their own ansible-role-* repos, so that they can be
> consumed using ansible-galaxy. It would actually even make sense to do
> that with the libvirt role responsible for setting up the virtual
> environment. The tripleo-quickstart would then be just an integration
> layer making consuming these roles for virtual deployments easy.
>
> This way if someone wanted to make a different role for say OVB
> deployments, it would be easy to use the other roles on top of a
> differently provisioned undercloud.
>
> Similarly, if we wanted to adopt ansible to drive tripleo-ci, it would
> be very easy to only consume the roles that make sense for the tripleo
> cloud.
>
> So the first question is, should we split the roles out of
> tripleo-quickstart?
>
> If so, should we do that before importing it to the openstack git?
>
> Also, should the split out roles also be on the openstack git?

So, we actually have a few ansible roles in OpenStack, mostly imported by
myself.  The OpenStack ansible teams has a few too.

I would propose, keep them included in your project for now and maybe start a
different discussion with all the ansible projects (kolla, ansible-openstack,
windmill, etc) to see how to best move forward.  I've discussed with openstack
ansible in the past about moving the roles I have uploaded into their team and
hope to bring it up again at Austin.