[openstack-dev] [Fuel] [Shotgun] Decoupling Shotgun from Fuel

Igor Kalnitsky ikalnitsky at mirantis.com
Wed Mar 30 10:03:02 UTC 2016

Hey Fuelers,

I know that you probably wouldn't like to hear that, but in my opinion
Fuel has to stop using Shotgun. It's nothing more but a command runner
over SSH. Besides, it has well known issues such as retrieving remote
directories with broken symlinks inside.

So I propose to find a modern alternative and reuse it. If we stop
supporting Shotgun, we can spend extra time to focus on more important
things.

As an example, we can consider to use Ansible. It should not be tricky
to generate Ansible playbook instead of generating Shotgun one.
Ansible is a  well known tool for devops and cloud operators, and they
we will only benefit if we provide possibility to extend diagnostic
recipes in usual (for them) way. What do you think?

Thanks,
- Igor