[openstack-dev] [docs] Our Install Guides Only Cover Defcore - What about big tent?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Mar 30 07:37:28 UTC 2016

On 03/29/2016 08:33 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> If the core doc team isn't able to help you maintain it, maybe it's a
> candidate for a separate guide, just like we're discussing for projects
> that aren't part of the DefCore set included in the main guide.
>
> Doug

This is exactly what I don't want. Only installing the packages
themselves is different. Like for example, "apt-get install foo" and
answering a few debconf prompts is often enough to get packages to work,
without the need for manual setup of dbs, or rabbitMQ credentials. But
that's maybe 20% of the install-guide, and the rest of is left
untouched, with no conditionals. For example the description of the
services, testing them after install, etc. Having a separated guide
would mean that someone would be left to write a full install-guide from
scratch, alone. That isn't desirable.

It is also my hope that the packaging on upstream infra will get going.
If it does, it will make more sense to get the Debian guide up to speed,
and probably there will be more contributors.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)