[openstack-dev] [tripleo][fuel] puppet-pacemaker: collaboration is starting now

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 20:04:03 UTC 2016

A few months ago, we moved redhat/puppet-pacemaker to
openstack/puppet-pacemaker for some reasons:

* We wanted to take benefits from OpenStack Infra (Gerrit, Zuul,
Jenkins jobs) and improve testing coverage.

Result: we succeed in here, changes in puppet-pacemaker no longer
break TripleO HA jobs, since we have the CI running for every patch.
Sofer is also doing an incredible work on testing at this time, with
beaker jobs and also make the module cleaner & testable.

* TripleO is using this module and we saw an opportunity to share this
code with OpenStack community.

Result: we recently had some conversations with Fuel folks on this ML
and on IRC, who also work on a puppet-pacemaker module, and they are
willing to merge both modules.
The collaboration is starting now: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/296440/

Some actions in progress:
* Move bits from fuel-infra/puppet-pacemaker to
openstack/puppet-pacemaker (see 296440)
* Adding Fuel CI running for patches in openstack/puppet-pacemaker
* Adding Beaker tests to run on Ubuntu
* Try to find an alternative to pcs for Ubuntu platform (pcs is not in
debian/ubuntu)
* Investigate if we can follow Fuel's moduel where XML is used instead of PCS.

Some requirements:
* Work will be done by iterated and test driven, thanks to beaker
tests and Fuel CI / TripleO CI.
* We need to converge a maximum of resources, when we can, but still
keep a feature parity for both Fuel & TripleO installers.

Feel free to jump in this work / conversation if you are involved in
TripleO / Fuel / or interested by this module, we're doing this the
open way.

Emilien Macchi