[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Segments, subnet types, and IPAM

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Tue Mar 29 18:12:08 UTC 2016

I've been playing with this a bit on this patch set [1].  I haven't
gotten very far yet but it has me thinking.

Calico has a similar use case in mind as I do.  Essentially, we both
want to group subnets to allow for aggregation of routes.  (a) In
routed networks, we want to group them by segment and the boundaries
are hard meaning that if an IP is requested from a particular segment,
IPAM should fail if it can't allocate it from the same.

(b) For Calico, I believe that the goal is to group by host.  Their
boundaries are soft meaning that it is okay to allocate any IP on the
network but one that allows maximum route aggregation is strongly
preferred.

(c) Brian Haley will soon post a spec to address the need to group
subnets by service type.  This is another sort of grouping but is
orthogonal to the need to group for routing purposes.  Here, we're
trying to group like ports together so that we can use different types
of addresses.  This kind of grouping could coexist with route grouping
since they are orthogonal.

Given all this grouping, it seems like it might make sense to add some
sort of grouping feature to IPAM.  Here's how I'm thinking it will
work.

1.  When a subnet is allocated, a group id(s) can be passed with the
request.  IPAM will remember the group id with the subnet.
2.  When an IP address is needed, a group id(s) can be passed with the
request.  IPAM will try to allocate from a subnet with a matching
group id(s).
3.  If no IP address is available that exactly matches the group id(s)
then IPAM may fall back to another subnet.  This behavior needs to be
different for the various use cases mentioned which is where it gets
kind of complicated.
  (a) No fallback is allowed.  The IP allocation should fail.
  (b) We can fall back to any other subnet.  There might be some
reasons to prefer some over others but this could get complicated
fast.
  (c) We can fall back to any subnet with None as its group (legacy
subnets) but not to other groups (e.g. if I'm trying to allocate a
floating IP address, I don't want to fall back to a subnet meant for
DVR gateways because those aren't public IP addresses).

I put (s) after group id in many cases above because it appears that
we can have more than one kind of orthogonal grouping to consider at
the same time.

What do folks think?

Am I trying to generalize too much and making it complicated?

What are some alternatives?

Are there other compelling use cases that I haven't considered yet?

Carl

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/288774