[openstack-dev] [TripleO] gnocchi backport exception for stable/mitaka

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 16:27:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:05:00AM -0400, Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> As Mitaka branch was cut yesterday, I would like to request a backport
> exception to get gnocchi patches[1][2][3] into stable/mitaka. It
> should low risk feature as we decided not to set ceilometer to use
> gnocchi by default. So ceilometer would work as is and gnocchi is
> deployed along side as a new service but not used out of the box. So
> this should make upgrades pretty much a non issues as things should
> work exactly like before. If someone want to use gnocchi backend, they
> can add an env template file to override the backend. In Netwon, we'll
> flip the switch to make gnocchi the default backend.
>
> If we can please vote to agree to get this in as an exception it would
> be super useful.

+1, provided we're able to confirm this plays nicely wrt upgrades I think
we should allow this.

We're taking a much stricter stance re backports for stable/mitaka, but I
think this is justified for the following reasons:

- The patches have been posted in plenty of time, but have suffered from a
  lack of reviews and a lot of issues getting CI passing, were it not for
  those issues this should really have landed by now.

- The Ceilometer community have been moving towards replacing the database
  dispatcher with gnocchi since kilo, and it should provide us with a
  (better performing) alternative the current setup AIUI.

Thus I think this is a case where an exception is probably justified, but
to be clear I'm generally opposed to granting exceptions for mitaka beyond
the few things we may discover in the next few days prior to the
coordinated release (in Newton I hope we can formalize this to be more
aligned with the normal feature-freeze and RC process).

Steve