[openstack-dev] [fuel] Component Leads Elections

Mike Scherbakov mscherbakov at mirantis.com
Tue Mar 29 07:15:50 UTC 2016

Vladimir,
I think this call is too late to change a structure for now. I suggest that
we always respect the policy we've accepted, and follow it.

If Component Leads role is under a question, then I'd continue the
discussion, hear opinion of current component leads, and give this a time
to be discussed. I'd have nothing against removing this role in a month
from now if we reach a consensus on this topic - no need to wait for the
cycle end.

I originally proposed this role in [1], and I've seen this working better
than without it: with code reviews; getting a final decision faster with
very little involvement of PTL. I would say that we needed to do analysis
similar to what I've done in [1], in order to get better understanding of
what worked well and what didn't.

>From my high level take here: Fuel is large project, counts 21 repos with
code, excluding plugins [2]. While some of subprojects would have a clear
leadership, some may get a few people with contradicting opinions but
similar weight in the community. In this case, decision on contradicting
opinions will be on a shoulders of PTL, which doesn't seem to be very
scalable. Volunteering doesn't help in this case, as even two volunteers
with different opinions will have to ask PTL for judgement.
I'd let Dmitry B. to comment, but I don't think that we had too many things
which could not be resolved on Component Leads level in the past cycle.

A few other things answered inline:
> Our CL role is rather a mixture of a manager and an architect.
Why manager? Do we have any other Fuel contributors reporting to Component
Leads? Yes for an architect. Is it a problem in the community?

> If a particular manager wants to have a person who is to be responsible
for asking people to review patches, then it is a matter of this manager to
motivate a particular person.
If you mean contributors, then established workflow with
maintainers  [3] should cover this.
If you mean Component Leads here, then I'd say that CLs have to be
self-motivated to ensure on-time review on patches. Otherwise, people will
turn out from component(s), and prefer other solutions or a fork. CL has to
make a decision, how many blueprints can be taken into work, to ensure that
enough time is dedicated to code review and other activities.

Thanks,

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-August/072406.html
[2]