[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Heat][Kolla][Magnum] The zen of Heat, containers, and the future of TripleO

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Mon Mar 28 19:07:22 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-03-23 at 07:54 -0400, Ryan Hallisey wrote:
> [...]
> > is
> > still well-integrated with the rest of the infrastructure.
> >
> > Now, at the Mitaka summit we discussed the idea of a 'split
> > stack',
> > where we have one stack for the infrastructure and a separate one
> > for
> > the software deployments, so that there is no longer any tight
> > integration between infrastructure and software. Although it makes
> > me a
> > bit sad in some ways, I can certainly appreciate the merits of the
> > idea
> > as well. However, from the argument above we can deduce that if
> > this is
> > the *only* thing we do then we will end up in the very worst of
> > all
> > possible worlds: the wrong tool for the job, poorly integrated.
> > Every
> > single advantage of using Heat to deploy software will have
> > evaporated,
> > leaving only disadvantages.
> I think Heat is a very powerful tool having done the container
> integration
> into the tripleo-heat-templates I can see its appeal.  Something I
> learned
> from integration, was that Heat is not the best tool for container
> deployment,
> at least right now.  We were able to leverage the work in Kolla, but
> what it
> came down to was that we're not using containers or Kolla to its max
> potential.
>
> I did an evaluation recently of tripleo and kolla to see what we
> would gain
> if the two were to combine. Let's look at some items on tripleo's
> roadmap.
> Split stack, as mentioned above, would be gained if tripleo were to
> adopt
> Kolla.  Tripleo holds the undercloud and ironic.  Kolla separates
> config
> and deployment.  Therefore, allowing for the decoupling for each
> piece of
> the stack.  Composable roles, this would be the ability to land
> services
> onto separate hosts on demand.  Kolla also already does this [1].
> Finally,
> container integration, this is just a given :).
>
> In the near term, if tripleo were to adopt Kolla as its overcloud it
> would
> be provided these features and retire heat to setting up the
> baremetal nodes
> and providing those ips to ansible.  This would be great for kolla
> too because
> it would provide baremetal provisioning.
>
> Ian Main and I are currently working on a POC for this as of last
> week [2].
> It's just a simple heat template :).
>
> I think further down the road we can evaluate using kubernetes [3].
> For now though,  kolla-anisble is rock solid and is worth using for

Yeah, well TripleO heat Overclouds are rock solid too. They just aren't
using containers everywhere yet. So lets fix that.

I'm not a fan of replacing the TripleO overcloud configuration with
Kolla. I don't think there is feature parity, the architectures are
different (HA, etc.) and I don't think you could easily pull off an
upgrade from one deployment to the other (going from TripleO Heat
template deployed overcloud to Kolla deployed overcloud).