[openstack-dev] [neutron] NaaS using Openstack Neutron

Manuel Fernandes manuelfernandes55 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:52:24 UTC 2016

Hello to all,

My name is Manuel, I'm a MsC student in Computing and Telematics engineering at the University of Aveiro in Portugal and I'm currently working on my MsC thesis, which the topic is "Network as a Service (NaaS) using Openstack - Neutron". My main goal is to get a way to extend the virtual networks created in Openstack to the network outside of the datacenter (for example a campus network) to get external devices on the same L2 domain as the VMs on the virtual network, now this scenario is possible using the extension "Provider Network", but the external network operator needs to configure all the devices manually one by one, so we have the goal to do this automatically. This scenario is thought to be accomplished by creating external ports, this ports has to be created in an automatically way, to get that goal it must be created a set of overlay networks by configuring the devices in the way to the device that will be the host for the external port. This needs to be done, thinking that the devices on the external network are mostly heterogeneous and they must be configured automatically in a transparent way regardless of their characteristics and functional patterns.
My main concern is to decide which is the better way to do this. Can I go with the ML2 plugin and create a type driver and a mechanism driver to implement this virtual network extension as a new virtual network segment, or it would be better to implement it using the framework "Advanced Service Plugin" as a new type of service? In both possible solutions, we pretend to have an external agent to do the necessary configurations on the network devices.

Thank you,

Manuel Fernandes.