[openstack-dev] [keystone] [murano] Does anybody need OAuth1 API in keystone?

Alexander Tivelkov ativelkov at mirantis.com
Fri Mar 25 12:44:54 UTC 2016

Hi Alexander,

We - the murano team (so adding [murano] to subj) - are planning to utilise
keystone's OAuth flow in Newton timeframe.

Our use cases require to have ability to delegate some of user's privileges
o various kinds of external (i.e. non-openstack) apps or services, so they
may interact with Murano API on behalf of that user.

A real-life example is a Cloud Foundry integration: we have a service which
acts as a Cloud Foundry Service Broker [1]: it exposes a
CloudFoundry-compatible APIs but under the hood implements them as calls to
Murano APIs. So, it needs to authenticate with Keystone using some valid
credentials. Right now we use regular user's name and password for that,
but this approach is not perfect, since these services may be controlled by
third-parties, so the users may not trust them - so, this is the exact use
case for the OAuth as a standard.

Another example of highly demanded use case for murano are custom
murano-powered CI/CD pipelines: in such deployments a build server may need
to generate murano applications, form murano packages, upload it to package
repository (glance/glare) and then deploy that package within an
appropriate murano environment. This case also requires this buildserver to
call glare and murano APIs on behalf of the user owning the job. We have
such deployments right now, but they also are statically configured with
the usernames and passwords of some service users, and that's not right.

So, we are looking forward for OAuth indeed.

I did some research with the current implementation, it obviously has some
issues (including the security ones), but I strongly believe that it should
be fixed and improved, not dropped (after all, silently dropping a part of
public api should never be an option in openstack: once public - always
public).
If you need my help or feedback on use-cases and found issues - please let
me know, I'll be happy to help.

[1] http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/services/api.html

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 1:05 PM Alexander Makarov <amakarov at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm working on unifying all the models that store actor access rights to
> the resources [0],
> and now I'm wondering if we can just drop current OAuth1 implementation
> [1].
> It's definitely not perfect and require considerable effort to bring it in
> good shape so the question is if the feature worth the attention?
>
> ​[0]​ https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/unified-delegation
> [1] https://github.com/openstack/keystone/tree/master/keystone/oauth1
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Alexander Makarov,
> Senior Software Developer,
>
> Mirantis, Inc.
> 35b/3, Vorontsovskaya St., 109147, Moscow, Russia
>
> Tel.: +7 (495) 640-49-04
> Tel.: +7 (926) 204-50-60
>
> Skype: MAKAPOB.AJIEKCAHDP

Regards,