[openstack-dev] [puppet] puppet-trove remove templated guestagent.conf

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Thu Mar 24 19:31:51 UTC 2016

Right now puppet-trove can configure guestagent.conf in two ways. First via
config options in the guestagent class and second via a templated file that
taskmanager.pp handles by default [1]. I'd like to drop this behavior, but
it's not backwards compatible so would like to discuss.

First the templated file is essentially a fork of the
trove_guestagent_config options. There have been options added there and
options moved to different sections there and the template was never
updated. I have a fix up for some of this [2], but there's more work to do.

Second, I believe that the templated file is unnecessary. If you just want
to set guestagent.conf, but not run the service or install the packages
you'd just do this:

      class {'::trove::guestagent':
        enabled              => false,
        manage_service => false,
        ensure_package => absent,
        <config stuff>
      }

Lastly, forcing guestagent.conf to re-use settings from taskmanager limits
how you can partition credentials for Rabbit. Since the guest agent runs on
VMs, I'd like to use separate Rabbit credentials for it than for
taskmanager which runs in my control plane. Using the templated file this
is not possible since settings are inherited from trove::taskmanager.

This change is not backwards compatible, so it would need a deprecation
cycle.

So with all that said, is there a reason to keep the current way of doing
things?

[1] -
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-trove/blob/2ccdb978fffe990e28512069a4c4f69465ace942/manifests/taskmanager.pp#L299-L304
[2] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/297293/2