[openstack-dev] [release] [pbr] semver on master branches after RC WAS Re: How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Mar 24 17:25:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Alan Pevec wrote:

> Another example (not release:managed project but still) where we have
> this confusion is gnocchi:
> openstack/gnocchi > master $ python ./setup.py --version
> 2.0.1.dev61
> openstack/gnocchi > stable/2.0 $ python ./setup.py --version
> 2.0.3.dev13

Sorry, I've never understood this feature of pbr (pre and post versioning
is it?). Don't these problems go away if everyone just steps up and uses
explicit version numbers in the projects (in __version__)[1].

No guessing required. No weird magic in pbr that few people
understand.

If some kind of automatic control and validation is required, do it
during the explicit tagging stage?

What is the goal of pre versioning?

[1] The fact that I can't look in the code for __version__ gives me
rage face.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/