[openstack-dev] Bots and Their Effects: Gerrit, IRC, other

Amrith Kumar amrith at tesora.com
Thu Mar 24 12:08:49 UTC 2016

Thanks for the posting because it tells me that there is a way to have bots contributed to infra (which I didn't know).

I have experimented with some bots, mostly against gerrit and trying to use the rather <politically-correct>lightweight</politically-correct> Launchpad API.

The one bot that I still operate looks at gerrit and periodically generates an email with a list of patch sets to review. The only 'smarts' in it are that it waits a reasonable amount of time to send the email, either every 12 hours or when there are five or more patch sets to look at.

I have recently been thinking that it would be a good idea to add some capabilities to help streamline handling of patches in Trove, for example around the area of translations suggested by Zanata. Also one which would update a web page based on patches to watch for a specific milestone (see other conversation on tagging and searching reviews http://openstack.markmail.org/thread/qh7u3sxmtpwkdzas)

Two specific things I'd like to know are below.

(a) Are there any guidelines around contributing bots, what are considered acceptable and what are not? I see mention of 'core reviewers must be human' (I was thinking my Zanata bot would +2 things, so it's a good thing to know if that's not advisable), and

(b) What bots are available that we could look to using; if others have found bots that were worth contributing, it would be good to look there before reinventing the wheel.

Thanks, and sorry if this is tangential to the initial intent of your email.

-amrith