[openstack-dev] [heat] issue of ResourceGroup in Heat template

Rabi Mishra ramishra at redhat.com
Thu Mar 24 05:39:01 UTC 2016

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 05:25:57PM +0300, Sergey Kraynev wrote:
> >    Hello,
> >    It looks similar on issue, which was discussed here [1]
> >    I suppose, that the root cause is incorrect using get_attr for your
> >    case.
> >    Probably you got "list"  instead of "string".
> >    F.e. if I do something similar:
> >    outputs:
> >      rg_1:
> >        value: {get_attr: [rg_a, rg_a_public_ip]}
> >      rg_2:
> >        value: {get_attr: [rg_a, rg_a_public_ip, 0]}
> >
> >      rg_3:
> >        value: {get_attr: [rg_a]}
> >      rg_4:
> >        value: {get_attr: [rg_a, resource.0.rg_a_public_ip]}
> >    where rg_a is also resource group which uses custom template as
> >    resource.
> >    the custom template has output value rg_a_public_ip.
> >    The output for it looks like [2]
> >    So as you can see, that in first case (like it is used in your example),
> >    get_attr returns list with one element.
> >    rg_2 is also wrong, because it takes first symbol from sting with IP
> >    address.
>
> Shouldn't rg_2 and rg_4 be equivalent?

They are the same for template version 2013-05-23. However, they behave differently
from the next  version(2014-10-16) onward and return a list of characters. I think
this is due to the fact that `get_attr` function mapping is changed from 2014-10-16.

2013-05-23 -  https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/heat/engine/hot/template.py#L70
2014-10-16 -  https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/heat/engine/hot/template.py#L291

This makes me wonder why would a template author do something like
{get_attr: [rg_a, rg_a_public_ip, 0]} when he can easily do
{get_attr: [rg_a, resource.0.rg_a_public_ip]} or {get_attr: [rg_a, resource.0, rg_a_public_ip]}
for specific resource atrributes.

I understand that {get_attr: [rg_a, rg_a_public_ip]} cane be useful when we just want to use
the list of attributes.