[openstack-dev] [release] [pbr] semver on master branches after RC WAS Re: How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Mar 24 01:18:16 UTC 2016

On 24 March 2016 at 10:36, Ian Cordasco <sigmavirus24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The project will build wheels first. The wheels generated tend to look something like 13.0.0.0rc2.dev10 when they're built because of pbr.
>
> If someone is doing CD with the openstack-ansible project and they deploy mitaka once it has a final tag, then they decide to upgrade to run master, they could run into problems upgrading. That said, I think my team is the only team doing this. (Or at least, none of the other active members of the IRC channel talk about doing this.) So it might not be anything more than a "nice to have" especially since no one else from the project has chimed in.

So when we discussed this in Tokyo, we had the view that folk *either*
run master -> master, or they run release->release, or rarely
release->alpha-or-beta.

We didn't think it made sense that folk would start with a stable use
case and evolve that into an unstable one, *particularly* early in the
unstable cycle.

So - if there's one team doing it, I think its keep-both-pieces time.

If its going to be more common than that, we can do the legwork to
make tags early on every time. But I don't think we've got supporting
evidence that its more than you so far :).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hpe.com>
Distinguished Technologist