[openstack-dev] [release] [pbr] semver on master branches after RC WAS Re: How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Mar 22 18:33:50 UTC 2016

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 2:10 PM, Alan Pevec <apevec at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On 27 February 2016 at 00:13, Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com> wrote:
>>> I understand the semantic versioning algorithm for calculating a new
>>> version.  But what do I run, in a git repository, to do that calculation
>>> for me, and output:
>>
>> pbr does that automatically, generating a pre-release version. The
>> regular part of the version is the lowest version number you can use
>> that will match the semver rules.
>
> So to help PBR, all projects should be inserting commit with Sem-Ver:
> api-break after stable/mitaka was cut, without that we have the same
> major version on both branches e.g. nova:
>
> $ git checkout master
> $ python ./setup.py --version
> 13.0.0.0rc2.dev48
>
> $ git checkout stable/mitaka
> $ python ./setup.py --version
> 13.0.0.0rc2.dev10
>
> After pushing empty commit to the master with the message like:
>    Newton bump major version
>
>    Sem-Ver: api-break
>    Change-Id: I8a2270d5a0f45342fe418b3018f31e6ef054fe9e
>
> $ python ./setup.py --version
> 14.0.0.dev49
>
> Any reason not to do that? Other option is to push alpha tag to
> master, but that would be weird IMHO.

The release team discussed this at the summit and agreed that it didn't really matter. The only folks seeing the auto-generated versions are those doing CD from git, and they should not be mixing different branches of a project in a given environment. So I don't think it is strictly necessary to raise the major version, or give pbr the hint to do so.

Doug