[openstack-dev] [tc][fuel][kolla][osa][tripleo] proposing type:deployment

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Tue Mar 22 15:09:34 UTC 2016

On 3/22/16, 2:15 AM, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

>Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
>> Technical Committee,
>>
>> Please accept my proposal of a new type of project called a deployment
>> [1].  If people don¹t like the type name, we can change it.  The basic
>> idea is there are a class of projects unrepresented by type:service and
>> type:library which are deployment projects including but not limited to
>> Fuel, Kolla, OSA, and TripleO.  The main motivation behind this addition
>> are:
>>
>>  1. Make it known to all which projects are deployment projects in the
>>     governance repository.
>>  2. Provide that information via the governance website under release
>>     management tags.
>>  3. Permit deployment projects to take part in the assert tags relating
>>     to upgrades [2].
>>

>> Currently fuel is listed as a type:service in the governance repository
>> which is only partially accurate.  It may provide a ReST API, but during
>> the Kolla big tent application process, we were told we couldn't use
>> type:service as it only applied to daemon services and not deployment
>> projects.
>
>I agree that type:service is not really a good match for Fuel or Kolla,
>and we could definitely use something else -- that would make it a lot
>clearer what is what for the downstream consumers of the software we
>produce.
>
>One issue is that tags are applied to deliverables, not project teams.
>For the Fuel team it's pretty clear (it would apply to their "fuel"
>deliverable). For Kolla team, I suspect it would apply to the "kolla"
>deliverable. But the TripleO team produces a collection of tools, so
>it's unclear which of those would be considered the main "deployment"
>thing.
>
>For OSA, we don't produce the deployment tool, only a set of playbooks.
>I was thinking we might need a type:packaging tag to describe which
>things we produce are just about packaging OpenStack things for usage by
>outside deployment systems (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Deb, RPM...). So I'm
>not sure your type:deployment tag would apply to OSA.

Thierry,

I was focused on Kolla when I proposed the type:deployment tag.  I can
also add a type:packaging tag as well if the community would find that
helpful for deb/rpm packaging efforts.  I agree type:packaging doesn't fit
with deployment tools in general.  I hadn't considered Puppet and Chef in
my original proposal, but I think they do fit into the type:deployment
tag, because they deploy the compute-kit.

Relating to OSA, OSA produces full playbooks and other tools for
deployment, so I think it is more a deployment system then a packaging
system.