[openstack-dev] [tc][election][ec2-api][winstackers][stable] status of teams without PTL candidates

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Mar 21 17:36:02 UTC 2016

On 03/21/2016 01:06 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2016-03-21 06:14:25 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
> [...]
>> I'm +1 on Tony for Stable Maint. Though I also think that we
>> should rollback any misgivings about election officials running
>> for PTL slots. Of our 40 races only 7 (?) were actual elections.
>> Election officials are chosen well before nominations open up, so
>> when a presumed status quo is not, I don't know why we'd want
>> responsible members of the community sitting on the sidelines.
> [...]
>
> This is where having two or more election officials, an open
> nomination process and an impartial third-party polling system
> already does a good job of protecting the community from malfeasance
> on the part of an election official abusing their trust to sweep a
> PTL seat.
>
> That said, while not an election official I did recuse myself from
> generating the electorate rolls this time once it was clear I was in
> a contested race for PTL. Election officials should similarly feel
> free to find other volunteers to take over for them if they realize
> they're about to be officiating over a poll in which they're one of
> the candidates, though I don't know that we need to consider that a
> hard requirement if suitable volunteers are unavailable to take
> over.

Tony and I did discuss me taking over for him as election official so
that he could run. We did agree that a change in the midst of an
election was not ideal but I do feel strongly that anyone who is a valid
candidate for a role should be allowed to run if that is their wish. I
also feel that both running in an election whilst participating in the
administration of the process is not a great idea.

The decision was Tony's to make and in the end, he did not inform me
that he wished for me to take over for him, which I respect.

Thanks,
Anita.