[openstack-dev] [trove] notes for Newton about the release process, learnings from Mitaka thus far

Amrith Kumar amrith at tesora.com
Fri Mar 18 13:44:34 UTC 2016

Folks on the Trove team,

I've certainly learnt a lot of things going through the Mitaka release process thus far, and I'm sure there are more things that I will learn as well. But, I want to send this to all so that we don't 'learn' the same things again in Newton.

1.  The release calendar is sent out way in advance of the release. Here is the Newton release schedule[1].

2.  Some important things to remember:

a.  There is a deadline for "Final release for client libraries". That came at R-5 in Mitaka[2]. On that date, any features that we have in python-troveclient IS the final set for the release. You can have bug fixes after that date but not new features.

b.  Feature freeze exceptions only cover things OTHER THAN client libraries. If you have a change that involves client and server side stuff, the deadline for "Final release for client libraries" does not get moved for your FFE'ed things.

c.  Once RC1 is tagged, you have a branch for the release. Therefore if you have changes after RC1, remember that they are backports from master onto stable/newton (now stable/mitaka).

d.  RC1 and all of the other tags have to be dropped on openstack/trove, openstack/python-troveclient and openstack/trove-dashboard.

3.  We will have to follow some process to identify the things that we want to get merged at each stage of the process. We used the starredby: thing this time around, as we've done in releases past. We may have to figure something else out, I'm looking to see if we can tag reviews but so far I haven't found anything.

Those are some of the things I've learned and I wanted to make a note of these for myself, but figured I may as well share with the team.

Thanks,

-amrith

[1] http://releases.openstack.org/newton/schedule.html
[2] http://releases.openstack.org/mitaka/schedule.html