[openstack-dev] [nova] Wishlist bugs == (trivial) blueprint?

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Thu Mar 17 15:57:29 UTC 2016

Top post as I summarize below what was said. At the end is a proposal
of actions.

TL;DR: Use the openstack-dev ML and discuss the most wanted RFEs at
       the summit?

The two diametral points are:

* The ops like to have a frictionless way for RFEs which need to be
  resolved explicitely (accepted|declined instead of 'starving to death')
* The nova-bugs team wants to focus on faulty behavior of existing
  features only without the "noise" of RFEs.

Just to make myself clear about my motivation and the conditions:

* We have (almost) no volunteers for the "bug skimming duty" [1] to do
  a pre-sorting of reports (except auggy, she did/does an awesome job!)
* We have (almost) no bug tag owners which do a deeper analysis of the
  incoming valid reports [2]
* We have ~ 1000 bug reports open, a lot are (very) old and need
  re-assessment
* Some RFEs are not written like RFEs and the nova bugs team needs
  to figure out if this is a bug or an RFE. As I don't know every detail
  and have to research these details, it distracts a lot from real bugs
* Some of the RFEs *need* a spec as they need a REST API change. Some
  need involvement of other projects like Cinder and Neutron.
* I'm convinced that a low number of high quality features will help
  the ops in a better way than more features which work most of the time.
  This is not a criticism on the skill of the developers, bugs are a
  normal part of SW development and need to be fixed.
* The resource restrictions described above force me (and others) to
  focus on the important things. I don't have the intention to exclude
  people's ideas.
* I sometimes hear "Is OpenStack even Enterprise ready?". There is
  a lot ongoing with the project navigator and clear deprecation
  policies but without focusing on the quality aspect I have a hard
  time to say "yes, it is ready".
* I don't care a lot about the overall number of bug reports. But it's
  not comprehensible anymore and setting a focus on bugs to fix first
  is not possible this way. Bringing the list back to a comprehensible
  size is the first step in adjusting the (fixes, reviews) pipeline.
  Finishing less items is more helpful than a lot of "in progress" items
* I *do* want the ops feedback. I have the hope that ttx's proposal
  of the summit split [3] (which I support) will become *the* input
  channel for us.

Alternative to wishlist bugs:

I'm also subscribed to the "openstack-ops" mailing list (I assume most
of us are). Posting a RFE on that list would have the following
advantages:
* It's the most easy way to post an idea (no Launchpad account needed)
* Other ops can chime in if they want that or not. All without querying
  Launchpad for multiple projects.
* You see RFE's for other projects too and can make conclusions if
  they maybe depend on or contradict each other.
* The triaging effort for the bugs team for RFEs is none
* The ML is (somewhat) queryable (just use [nova][RFE] in the subject)
* The ops community can filter the top priority missing features by
  themselves before they reach out for implementation. Some ideas die
  naturally as other ops explain how they do it (=> share knowledge)

The design summit can then have a session which goes through that list
of pre-filtered most wanted ops features and take that into account
when the priorization for the next cycle is done. This doesn't solve
the challenge to find developers who implement that, but as these items
will have more focus there could be more volunteers.

This way could also be a good transition or supplement of the way
we would do the requirements engineering after the (hopefully coming)
split of the design summit. I'm not up-to-date how this is planned.

Suggested action items:

1. I close the open wish list items older than 6 months (=138 reports)
   and explain in the closing comment that they are outdated and the
   ML should be used for future RFEs (as described above).
2. I post on the openstack-ops ML to explain why we do this
3. I change the Nova bug report template to explain this to avoid more
   RFEs in the bug report list in the future.
4. In 6 months I double-check the rest of the open wishlist bugs
   if they found developers, if not I'll close them too.
5. Continously double-check if wishlist bug reports get created

Doubts? Thoughts? Concerns? Agreements?