[openstack-dev] [Horizon] How do we move forward with xstatic releases?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Mar 17 08:00:59 UTC 2016

On 03/17/2016 07:23 AM, Richard Jones wrote:
> There's a basic difference here though. Your traditional "installed
> components" are pieces of software and data used *by programs on that
> system.*
>
> The components we're talking about here are, as far as the system is
> concerned, opaque data to be transmitted over HTTP(S) to a web browser
> client which then makes use of that data in some manner.
>
> There are no cross-program compatibility issues stemming from having
> multiple different versioned copies of such client-side files on a
> system

The same way, we could have multiple version of fonts, tzdata, SSL root
certificates and so on. There wouldn't be any compatibility issues.
Though it's still not the right thing to do at a distribution level.

Have you noticed also that in the Windows world, each program carries
its .dll, which are supposed to be shared object, but in fact, they
aren't shared? Yes, it is easier to do so.

> - this is why the web development world has standardised on
> tooling that *makes it easy to do so*. Different client-side web
> applications *should* be able to use different versions of components.

The same was as for shared .so libraries, that's not the correct way to
do things. Even though the JavaScript objects aren't executed by the
system (well, if we forget that nodejs exists), there's still potential
bugs and security problems with them, and they may require maintenance.

> xstatic shoe-horns that freedom of client-side application component
> usage into a one-size-must-fit-all world that fundamentally only exists
> because programs on a system can get confused when multiple versions are
> installed on that system[1].

I wouldn't say it this way. To me, they are just tools which makes it
easy for us to stop the duplication madness of the same files.

Have a look:
# apt-file search jquery.js | grep -v doc | wc -l
128

This is 127 bugs which should be fixed currently with the embedded
jquery. I hardly see how one could argue this is a good thing. I hope we
can be better citizens than this.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)