[openstack-dev] [kolla][ptl] Kolla PTL Candidacy for Steven Dake
Steven Dake (stdake)
stdake at cisco.com
Thu Mar 17 00:33:08 UTC 2016
Kolla in Mitaka introduced many significant features, and in my opinion
is the first version of Kolla to offer a fully functional deployment system.
Our community has completely decoupled Kolla from various upstream releases
of Docker>=1.10.0, resolved the data container data loss problem with
named volumes, implemented a fantastic upgrade implementation, added
reconfiguration, improved security via dropping root and TLS implementations
on the external network, implemented the start of a rockin' diagnostics
system, dramatically improved our gating, and most importantly accepted
with open arms the work of various community members around kicking off
a Mesos based implementation of Kolla in addition to our existing
implementation in Ansible. Most important to me personally is that we
have done all of this work without harming our diversity, which
remains consistently strong and protects our community and implementation.
I don't personally take credit for this work; Mitaka Kolla is the hard work
of everyone in the community working together towards a common goal. Every
metric that can be pulled out of Stackalytics shows our project has
doubled in committers, reviewers, commits, reviews, and IC project
A leader's job is to take the community on the trip they want to go on. I
personally feel I've done a done a good job of balancing the various interests
in Kolla to maintain a high quality implementation while maintaining
I view the role of PTL as a facilitator rather than giving directives. My
personal growth in this area is only because of on the job training over
the last twenty years of development leadership, coupled with the rockin'
teams I've led and recruited, including Corosync, Heat, Magnum, and now
For Newton I wish to directly contribute to or facilitate the following
* Continue to deliver diversity in our Community.
* Implement reno support and obtain the release:managed tag .
* Obtain the vulnerability:managed tag .
* Obtain real-world production deployments using Kolla.
* Grow out community of developers, reviewers, and operators.
* Turn our leaky functional testing gate into an Iris .
* Implement plugin support for Horizon, Neutron, Nova, and Cinder both
from source and from binary.
* Implement BiFrost integration.
* Expand on our diagnostics system.
* Release a production-ready implementation of kolla-mesos.
* Containerize and deliver more Big Tent server projects.
* Make the image building and functional gating voting(!) by delivering
mirrors of our upstream software dependencies internally in OpenStack
Infrastructure. This work was partially done in Mitaka but more work
* Continue to provide excellent project management and improve our processes.
I am pleased to accept your vote and serve as your PTL for the Newton
release cycle. As a Community I am certain we can make Newton as successful
as Kilo, Liberty, and Mitaka have been!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev