[openstack-dev] [cross-project] [all] Quotas -- service vs. library

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Mar 16 18:40:05 UTC 2016

As an Op, I've seen quota's in the db get out of sync all the time.... I'm sure some of my clouds right now have some stuff out of sync :/

With my dev hat on:
The code is really hard to get right.

There are also a lot of places quota's are missing. quota's per host aggregate, quota's for floating ips per external network.

Also hierarchical quota's are going to be important and that will touch a million projects too.

Then there's lots of projects that don't implement but the most basic of quota's.

Really, centralizing it will be a lot of work initially, but long term, I think will pay off in that there will be only one place to fix bugs and add important features. It will allow each project to easily add quota's to the places they need to be in, since they won't have to write a whole quota system themselves.

With an op hat on again, putting them all in one place will also make it easier to administer. "floating ip's on this cloud are ... neutron, so I need to use the neutron command to set the quota for that" can be a thing of the past.

Thanks,
Kevin