[openstack-dev] [tc] Question about electorate for project without gerrit contribution

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Wed Mar 16 12:12:17 UTC 2016

On 16/03/2016 04:47, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 09:41:41PM +0000, Hayes, Graham wrote:
>> I do not see the time frame for defining an electorate there.
>>
>> PTL seats are completely renewed every 6 months. A separate election is
>> run for
>> each project team. These elections are collectively held 5 weeks prior
>> to each
>> design summit, with nominations due 6 weeks prior to the summit and
>> elections
>> held open for no less than five business days.
>>
>> The way the rules are currently worded if the extra ATC patch merged
>> before the deadline for PTL nomination anyone in that patch would be
>> able to run.
>>
>> Where do we define the cut off date for electorate definition?
>
> [1] roughly defines it as "committed a change to a repository of a project over
> the last two 6-month release cycles"

Actually the way that reads is that for mitaka APCs would be based on
Kilo and Liberty - it should probably read

"committed a change to a repository of a project over the last 6-month
release cycle and the current 6-month release cycle"

But, that is a digression.

> For the sake of generating the full APC roles we (the election officials) define
> the exact range and communicate that[2].  At approximately the same time the
> governance repo is tagged and used for reference[3].  There are no extra-ATCs
> for Packaging-deb[4].

That is what I was looking for.

Is this recorded, or is there a list on rules that are passed on?

If there is no current place I would suggest that a section called
"Defining the Electorate" is added to the Charter, in the interests of
Openness - the way the charter is currently written does not indicate
that there is a cut off date during the cycle.

> That is how we define the electorate, changing that mid-election is not an option.

Why not? A lot of elections (both for Governments and in NGOs) allow
for a "supplemental register" - to allow for this exact thing.