[openstack-dev] [tripleO][Neutron] neutron-lbaas agent service placement

Qasim Sarfraz qasims at plumgrid.com
Wed Mar 16 10:29:33 UTC 2016

Thanks Ben.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

> On 03/14/2016 10:18 AM, Qasim Sarfraz wrote:
> > Hi Triple-O folks,
> >
> > I was planning to enable neutron-lbaas-agent on a overcloud deployment
> > but couldn't find any useful documentation. Can someone please point me
> > to the required documentation? Is there a heat/puppet workflow available
> > for this service?
> >
> > Also I had following questions regarding neutron-lbaas service placement:
> >
> >   * I am not able to find a network node or neutron node role in tripleo
> >     templates [1] consequently the service will be placed on
> >     controllers. Correct?
>
> Yeah, there's work under way to allow custom placement of services, but
> for the moment it would probably need to run on the controllers.

Makes sense. Is there a discussion going on for this or some patch set
adding this functionality? I will be happy to be part of that effort.

> >   * Is it possible to run multiple instances of this service and use
> >     HAproxy to provide VIP to the services?
>
> Assuming the service supports this, it should be doable.

> >   * Is it possible to run the service on the compute nodes? If yes is
> >     there a installation workflow for this.
>
> It's possible, but to my knowledge there isn't any existing support for
> LBaaS in TripleO.  To enable it, you would need to:
>
> -Add it to the TripleO loadbalancer puppet manifest:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/puppet-tripleo/blob/master/manifests/loadbalancer.pp
> -Add the necessary hieradata to enable it in tripleo-heat-templates.
>
> This is assuming there is existing puppet support for it.  If not, there
> would be some additional steps to get that into the puppet modules we use.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I will have to add support in [1] and take care of
heat/puppet/hiera workflow for automated installation. Correct?
[1] -
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/puppet/manifests/overcloud_controller_pacemaker.pp
<https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/puppet/manifests/overcloud_controller_pacemaker.pp>

> -Ben