[openstack-dev] [horizon] remove 'external' option from router rules grid

Aditya Vaja wolverine.av at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:19:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

I wanted to bring attention to the router rules grid on the horizon GUI.
Currently, we have 'external' and 'any' as two different options on the router
rules grid: github.com/openstack/horizon/blob/stable/liberty/openstack_dashboa
rd/dashboards/project/routers/extensions/routerrules/tabs.py#L110-L121

But their CIDR representation is 0.0.0.0/0. Would it make sense to to have
just a single option 'any'?
If we apply a permit or deny based on 'external', we essentially apply it for
the 'any', since the CIDR is the same. And if the user wants, they override it
with more specific rules (/16 or /24) for the subnets.
If there are real use cases that do use the external option, I'd like to hear
about it.
If not, I'd like to propose the change to remove 'external' option from the
grid and submit a patch for it.

What would be the process to get  comments on this and merge the change?

[Full Disclosure: I work at Big Switch Networks, which acts as one of the
backends for the router rules grid]

\--

Aditya Vaja