[openstack-dev] [L2-Gateway] connecting to hardware vtep not working

Jason Guy jguy at cumulusnetworks.com
Mon Mar 14 21:07:18 UTC 2016

I have the l2gateway stable/liberty release loaded in my openstack setup,
and can create the l2gateway, however the l2gateway-connection fails. I
have read doc which appears to be more up-to-date than the readme:
https://github.com/openstack/networking-l2gw/blob/stable/liberty/specs/kilo/l2-gateway-api.rst

Assuming this image
<http://docs.openstack.org/developer/networking-l2gw/_images/L2GW_deployment.png>
is accurate, it looks like the neutron agent AND compute node connect to
the remote switch (hardware VTEP) using VXLAN. The neutron agent also
connects to the OVSDB-server on the remote switch. Obviously the VXLAN
tunnel is the data-plane, and the OVSDB-server connection is the
control-plane.

1) l2gateway-create - Creating an abstraction of an L2 gateway (hardware
VTEP) with its interface(s). It is not clear to me what to specify when
setting up the l2gateway.

neutron l2-gateway-create mlagsw \
--device name=sw11,interface_names="baremetal1" \
--device name=sw12,interface_names="baremetal1"

- Is the --device name correlate to one of the ovsdb_hosts, specified in
the l2gateway_agent.ini?
- Is the name meant to be resolveable via DNS? I would assume no, if it
gleans the IP from the .ini file.
- What does the "interface" parameter specify? Is this the interface the
remote VTEP will bind to the VXLAN bridge on the hardware VTEP?

2) l2gateway-connection-create - Binding a logical gateway to an overlay
network. This keeps failing for me, and I am not quite sure why. My neutron
net is called vmnet201.

root at linux: ~# neutron l2-gateway-connection-create mlagsw vmnet201
L2 Gateway Device sw11 could not be found.

- I assume this attempts to create the VXLAN tunnel to the remote VTEP(s).
Does it attempt the second device if the first fails? I only see one
failure message.
- Does the l2gateway-agent run the ovsdb-client?
- Does neutron need to run openvswitch, or can the ovsdb client use the
linuxbridge agent?

3) OVSDB-server connection:

- Should I see the connection to the ovsdb-server prior to executing the
l2gateway-connection?
- How would I see if the connection is up or not on the network node?
- Does this come up automatically when the l2gateway_agent is started after
reading the .ini file?
Should something show up in the log if it cannot create the connection? I
have debug=true, and do not see that the ovsdb connection is up or failing
to connect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason