[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Rewriting nailgun agent on Python proposal

Alexander Saprykin asaprykin at mirantis.com
Mon Mar 14 15:13:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

We have fuel-nailgun-agent project which was initially written on Ruby. It
is 900 lines of code single script, that collects and provides to the
nailgun information about node's hardware.

In the past several iteration we had to introduce new modifications to that
script we discovered couple of major problems with it.

1. Most of our software engineers are Python programmers and it's quite
complicated to add new features. We have or to write ugly ruby code or to
wait for somebody who knows it to write it.

2. Nailgun agent doesn't have tests. At all.

3. It would be good to have a plugins support in the nailgun agent. In case
if customer wants to collect any extra information about nodes that can be
used in fuel plugins.

Possible obstacles:

Nailgun agent depends from Ruby library called *ohai* which provides
hardware information.

Our proposal is to:

1. Rewrite fuel nailgun agent to Python.

2. Add proper unit tests.

3. Ohai library can be used as CLI tool or it can be replaced with pure
python solution (to be investigated)

4. Nailgun agent can be extended with plugins based on steevedore.

Best regards,
Alexander Saprykin