[openstack-dev] [fuel] PTL Non-Candidacy

Dmitry Borodaenko dborodaenko at mirantis.com
Mon Mar 14 08:07:46 UTC 2016

All,

I will not be running for Fuel PTL for the Newton cycle.

There are many reasons why I think it's a good idea for me to step down:

Fuel is a large project. In Mitaka, 224 contributors made 3200+ commits
changing 700K+ lines of code [0]. That's on par with the most active
OpenStack projects in this cycle: Nova and Neutron. A large project
needs many leaders, and frequently rotating PTLs [1] is a good way to
ensure that the project doesn't run out of people with leadership
experience and that these people are not burning out.

[0] http://stackalytics.com/?metric=commits&module=fuel-group
[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-September/074280.html

PTL is a full-time job [2]. I wasn't able to drop everything else I've
been doing for Mirantis and focus on my PTL duties, and, naturally, it
didn't work too well. If not for the excellent job our component leads
and cores have done driving technical discussions and reviewing design
specs, it wouldn't have worked at all. We've got great things planned
for the Newton cycle that will require PTL's attention [3], we're going
to need a full-time PTL to drive them, not someone who has to steal time
for PTL duties from their other full-time job.

[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-September/073986.html
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/fuel-austin-agenda

Fuel became part of the OpenStack Big Tent, we've eliminated code
duplication with Puppet OpenStack, we've set up PTI compliant gate jobs
for our git repositories, we've moved most of our discussions to public
IRC meetings and email threads on openstack-dev, we've aligned our
release schedule with that of OpenStack integrated releases. We missed
some goals and are still arguing about others, but overall, I'm happy
with how much progress we've made towards the priorities I've declared
last year [4][5]. It's a good time to let someone else define new
challenges for the Fuel community.

[4] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-September/075668.html
[5] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/079828.html

Thank you all for support,