[openstack-dev] Error connecting to gerrit - issue with gerrit and launchpad username mismatch?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Mar 14 04:06:23 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-13 19:51:14 -0500 (-0500), Lee Calcote wrote:
> Does anyone know if the fact that my usernames are different
> across these systems will cause an error when authenticating to
> gerrit?

It will not. Gerrit does not care (or even know) your Launchpad
username. The Gerrit WebUI identifies you with a unique OpenId URL
from your Launchpad account.

> I receive this error when running a git review from within an
> openstack repository I just cloned:
>
> $ git review Could not connect to gerrit. Enter your gerrit
> username:
[...]

Unfortunately git-review's current mechanism for determining whether
your account is valid is by trying a test push for the repository
you're working in. Any condition which causes Gerrit to refuse the
push makes git-review think your username is incorrect.

> My gerrit username is "lecalcot". My launchpad username is "lcalcote”.
[...]

A quick look in the Gerrit backend database tells me you've not
filed contact information at
https://review.openstack.org/#/settings/contact which means you
probably also haven't agreed to the Individual Contributor License
Agreement (and the openstack-manuals repository to which you're
trying to contribute requires those). Please follow the
http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html#account-setup
instructions (including creating a Foundation Member account, making
sure you use the same primary E-mail address for that as your
preferred address in Gerrit, agreeing to the ICLA and filing contact
information), and then try your git-review again once that's done.
--
Jeremy Stanley