[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Removing logs from Fuel Web UI and Nailgun

Simon Pasquier spasquier at mirantis.com
Fri Mar 11 09:05:20 UTC 2016

Hello Roman,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Roman Prykhodchenko <me at romcheg.me> wrote:

> Fuelers,
>
> I remember we’ve discussing this topic in our couloirs before but I’d like
> to bring that discussion to a more official format.
>
> Let me state a few reasons to do this:
>
> - Log management code in Nailgun is overcomplicated
> - Working with logs on big scale deployments is barely possible given the
> current representation
> - Due to overcomplexity and ineffectiveness of the code we always get
> recurring bugs like [1]. That eats tons of time to resolve.
> - There are much better specialized tools, say Logstash [2], that can deal
> with logs much more effectively.
>

> There may be more reasons bus I think even the already mentioned ones are
> enough to think about the following proposal:
>
> - Remove Logs tab from Fuel Web UI
> - Remove logs support from Nailgun
> - Create mechanism that allows to configure different log management
> software, say Logstash, Loggly, etc

- Choose a default software to install and provide a plugin for it from the
> box

This is what the LMA/StackLight plugins [1][2] are meant for. No need to
develop anything new.

And I'm +1 with the removal of log management from Fuel. As you said, it
can't scale...

[1] http://fuel-plugin-lma-collector.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
[2] http://fuel-plugin-elasticsearch-kibana.readthedocs.org/en/latest/