[openstack-dev] [tripleo] enabling third party CI

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 14:50:03 UTC 2016

Something I like in TripleO is third party drivers enablement, thanks to
the plug-able interface in Puppet modules & Heat Templates.
Though I don't see any testing regarding these drivers, it sounds like we
add a lot of parameters and Puppet code that is supposed to deploy the
drivers, but we never verify it actually works.

OpenStack Infra provides an easy way to plug CI systems and some CIs (Nova,
Neutron, Cinder, etc) already gate on some third party systems.
I was wondering if we would not be interested to investigate this area and
maybe ask to our third party drivers contributors (Bigswitch, Nuage,
Midonet, Cisco, Netapp, etc) to run on their own hardware TripleO CI jobs
running their specific environment to enable the drivers.
This CI would be plugged to TripleO CI, and would provide awesome feedback.

We need to know from these vendors if they are interested in such a thing,
which could improve the quality of TripleO, something we both want.
If they agree, we could help them to setup this environment (we already
have the framework, I don't think it would require a lot of work).

I see an opportunity to involve our vendors in the quality of TripleO, and
eventually increase the number of contributors by this result.

Any feedback is welcome here.
--
Emilien Macchi