[openstack-dev] [all][zaqar][cloudkitty] Default ports list

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Mar 10 13:55:29 UTC 2016

On 03/10/2016 08:40 AM, Thomas Herve wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016, Sean Dague wrote:
>>
>>> These are HTTP services. They really shoudn't be claiming new ports,
>>> they should be running on a real webserver on 80 or 443.
>>>
>>> There is some legacy there with the original services that we are
>>> churning through. It would be nice if new services *started* with
>>> staying on wsgi only, and stopped grabbing random ports.
>>

>> +many. It would be great if we just got rid of the runnable web
>> servers in the projects and just expose wsgi apps (the tools like
>> devstack etc mounted under whatever the available server is).
>
> Isn't devstack meant for development? Running the APIs in a WSGI
> container like Apache or uwsgi makes for a terrible debugging
> experience. Just this morning I had to prevent aodh from running in
> Apache to be able to run it standalone.
>
> Also, those apps that use WSGI still bind a different port. The fact
> that it runs in Apache doesn't really solve the URLs problem.

But they shouldn't. I do realize it's taking a while to get there, but
this is the push to get rid of all these weird ports. The point is to
get them all on 80 in a subpath or a separate domain.

If projects use the pbr wsgi_script directive the wsgi script will run
on wsgi ref on the commandline if you need that for debug -
https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/4db54810e58ad86edb92869a608fb5630a6b99e5/setup.cfg#L75
that was built to make this simpler.

	-Sean

--