[openstack-dev] [all] [api] Reminder: WSME is not being actively maintained

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Mar 8 21:22:11 UTC 2016

On 08/03/2016 6:25 AM, Chris Dent wrote:

> Last summer Lucas Gomes and I were press ganged into becoming core on
> WSME. Since then we've piecemeal been verifying bug fixes and generally
> trying to keep things moving. However, from the beginning we both agreed
> that WSME is _not_ a web framework that we should be encouraging. Though
> it looks like it started with very good intentions, it never really
> reached a state where any of the following are true:
>
> * The WSME code is easy to understand and maintain.
> * WSME provides correct handling of HTTP (notably response status
>    and headers).
> * WSME has an architecture that is suitable for creating modern
>    Python-based web applications.
>
> Last summer we naively suggested that projects that are using it move to
> using something else. That suggestion did not take into account the
> realities of OpenStack.
>
> So we need to come up with a new plan. Lucas and I can continue to
> merge bug fixes as people provide them (and we become aware of them) and
> we can continue to hassle Doug Hellman to make a release when one is
> necessary but this does little to address the three gaps above nor the
> continued use of the framework in existing projects.
>
> Ideas?

it seems like the main reason there are so many projects leveraging WSME
is because everyone is just using Ironic or Ceilometer as the starting
point for their APIs. can we officially say to all new projects who plan
on copying API logic of Ironic et al.: 'stop'.

what are the viable alternatives out there? Voluptuous, JSONSchema? i
apologies, i know this is a question that gets asked every few months.

cheers,

--
gord