[openstack-dev] [oslo] oslo.messaging dispatching into private/protected methods?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:43:31 UTC 2016

Hi all,

As I was working through https://review.openstack.org/#/c/288719/ for
kevin benton to do some things with in neutron it came to my
understanding that this code (the dispatcher code that is) can dispatch
into nearly arbitrary callables of any object (or that is what it looks
like it can do):

https://github.com/openstack/oslo.messaging/blob/4.5.0/oslo_messaging/rpc/dispatcher.py#L169

So during this exploration of this code for the above review it made me
wonder if this is a feature or bug, or if we should at least close the
hole of allowing calling into nearly any endpoint method/attribute (even
non-callable ones to?).

So before doing much more of this (which I started in review
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/289624/) I wanted to see if people are
actually using this 'ability' (for lack of better words) to call into
private/protected methods before pursuing 289624 much more...

Thoughts?

-Josh