[openstack-dev] [all] [api] Reminder: WSME is not being actively maintained

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Mar 8 11:25:48 UTC 2016

Last summer Lucas Gomes and I were press ganged into becoming core on
WSME. Since then we've piecemeal been verifying bug fixes and generally
trying to keep things moving. However, from the beginning we both agreed
that WSME is _not_ a web framework that we should be encouraging. Though
it looks like it started with very good intentions, it never really
reached a state where any of the following are true:

* The WSME code is easy to understand and maintain.
* WSME provides correct handling of HTTP (notably response status
   and headers).
* WSME has an architecture that is suitable for creating modern
   Python-based web applications.

Last summer we naively suggested that projects that are using it move to
using something else. That suggestion did not take into account the
realities of OpenStack.

So we need to come up with a new plan. Lucas and I can continue to
merge bug fixes as people provide them (and we become aware of them) and
we can continue to hassle Doug Hellman to make a release when one is
necessary but this does little to address the three gaps above nor the
continued use of the framework in existing projects.

Ideas?

Thanks.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/