[openstack-dev] [kolla][vote] exception for backporting upgrades to liberty/stable

Michal Rostecki mrostecki at mirantis.com
Tue Mar 8 06:15:20 UTC 2016

On 03/07/2016 05:22 PM, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> Upgrades are required, true, but not necessarily automatic ones.
> People still can rebuild and redeploy containers using normal deploy.
> It will be downtime causing and less optimal, but possible. Also with
> backport of named volumes it won't be data-destroying. It will cause
> total downtime of APIs, but well, it's first version.
>
> So I'm -1 to porting it to 1.1.0.
>
> But I would suggest another option, namely 1.2.0 with automatic
> upgrades we have now. It will allow upgrade 1.1.0->1.2.0 and it will
> not add more work to 1.1.0 which we need asap (we need it well tested
> by Austin summt AT MOST). Adding upgrades might make it tight,
> especially that infra upgrades aren't finished yet in master.
>
> Cheers,
> Michal

I like this idea.

I'm OK with the idea of backporting upgrade playbooks to stable/liberty
in general. But I think that the other Michal made a valid point that
1.1.0 has to be well tested soon and in the same moment we don't have
all upgrades yet even in master.

So,
-1 for backporting to 1.1.0
+1 for backporting later to 1.2.0